Suicide bomber: Former sushi chef Akbarzhon Jalilov had just turned 22 before the attack
Krygyz security service, GKNB, said Jalilov was born in Osh, the second-largest city in the former Soviet state of f Kyrgyzstan, in Central Asia. He had been living in Russia for six years. Acquaintances told Russian media outlets that Jalilov had previously worked at a sushi restaurant and was a fan of wrestling and martial arts, but had fallen off their radar since 2015.
Investigators said the backpack bomb that exploded near the Sennaya Ploshchad station “could have been activated by a man whose fragmented remains were discovered in the third carriage,” according to Agence France-Presse reports.
One of the victims, Irina Medyantseva, 50, threw herself on top of her 29-year-old daughter Yelena, during the explosion. She died immediately, but her daughter survived with injuries
Russia’s investigative committee said Jalil’s DNA had been found on an unexploded device left at a second metro station, the Ploshchad Vosstaniy. meanwhile Russian media reports said the second bomb, a shrapnel-filled fire extinguisher, would have been several times more powerful than the first.
The forensic evident and surveillance footage led authorities to believe the same person was responsible for both bombs, officials said.
Russian authorities release images of ‘terror suspect’ accused of planting a nail bomb on St Petersburg metro killing a dozen people and injuring 50
There has been no claim of responsibility for the Monday afternoon blast, which came while President Vladimir Putin was visiting his home town of St Petersburg.
Meanwhile, Russia’s Health Minister Veronika Skvortsova said Tuesday that the death toll had risen to 14, with at least 50 wounded. Eleven people died at the scene, one died on an ambulance and two more died in a hospital, she said.
Female survivor helps hurt blast victim, injured and dazed passengers are strewn all around them on the floor,near a subway train hit by an explosion at the Tekhnologichesky Institut subway station
The naming of the suspect followed 24 hours of unsubstantiated rumors about his identity.
A Kazakh man named by some news outlets as a potential suspect overnight was apparently one of the victims, while a man whose photograph was widely circulated by Russian media Monday later went to police to state his innocence.
Putin received a phone call from President Trump early Tuesday.
On Tuesday, the driver of the targeted train told Russian media how he decided to continue on to the next station – the Tekhnologicheskii Institut – after the blast to make evacuation easier.
Gaping hole blasted in the side of one carriage with mangled metal wreckage strewn around the platform
“There was a bang, and dust. I made contact with the controller and explained the situation,” Alexander Kaverin said, The Guardian reported.
“Then I started getting incomprehensible messages on the intercom system, from all the carriages at once. I made the decision according to the rules for such emergencies, to continue on to the next station,” he said.
The Telegraph of the UK reported witnesses on the crowded train describing being shaken by a “thundering clap” that filled the car with smoke shortly after it left the station: “We all moved to the opposite end of the wagon, people jammed together and two women passed out. This all was happening while the train was still moving, it didn’t stop,” Polina, a student, told .
Russian officials said they were treating Monday’s attack as an act of terrorism, but there was no official confirmation of any link to Islamist radicals,. However, An affiliate of ISIS claimed responsibility for the tragedy, calling it revenge for Russia’s military intervention in Syria.
Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said it was cynical to say the bombing was revenge for Russia’s role in Syria. He said the attack showed that Moscow needed to forge ahead in its fight against global terrorism.