Clifton King, died after being attacked by inebriated 43-year-old Michael Augustine on Jan 20
When Augustine stumbled into his neighbor’s Raytown, home on Friday night, it was 10.15pm, he was drunk
Thinking King’s property was his own, the ‘drunk’ pinned the homeowner down on the front yard
He called 911, giving the operator his own address and claiming he had come home to find an intruder
Responding officers found the men at King’s property and not Augustine’s – the  houses are 176 yards apart, but on the same side of the road  
King died in hospital, his neighbor Michael G. Augustine is charged with 1st degree involuntary manslaughter
Augustine posted his $150,000 bond and has since left the area  

 A man from Raytown, Missouri man was charged with involuntary manslaughter after he allegedly went to his neighbor’s home, thinking it was his own, then choked the homeowner to death.
The 60-year-old veteran, Clifton King, has been choked to death on his own front lawn a drunk Michael Augustine, 43, several houses away on the same side of the street.
Augustine totally misjudged the tenth of a mile that separates the two homes. In his inebriated state, stumbled into his neighbor’s house after mistaking it for his own and attacked the older man thinking he was an intruder, police sources said.
Police were alerted to the situation when Augustine called them reporting an intruder in his own house. He gave them his own address and said he had the intruder ‘pinned down’ in his front yard, where he would keep him until officers arrived.
Police however arrived at his house to find it empty and no one outside.
After patrolling the area, they found both men in King’s front yard where Augustine appeared to have him in a choke hold.
The 60-year-old was taken to hospital but was later pronounced dead.
According to charging documents, Augustine smelled of alcohol and was slurring his speech.
In one of his booking photos, shows a smiling, seemingly uncomprehending Augustine squinting into the camera.

Augustine directed the dispatcher to send police to his home in Raytown, Missouri, claiming he had found an intruder inside and was in the front yard with him. He had actually gone to Clifton King’s home 176 yards away which is where they were found

The 43-year-old was charged with first degree involuntary manslaughter. His bond was set at $150,000 which he posted this week.
It is not clear what he does for a living.
Neighbors say he has since moved out of the street and do not know where he is.
Neither the Raytown Police Department nor the Jackson County Prosecutor’s Office responded to questions about the case.
Shocked neighbors have described Clifton as a ‘good neighbor who served the country’.
‘He served our country and that was not an honorable way to treat him.
‘”I think that it’s sad. It’s sad! Someone had to give up their life because someone was so messed up they didn’t know it wasn’t their home,’ one woman, who declined to be named, told local Missouri station Fox 4. 

Michael Augustine's home in Raytown, Missouri. .pngMichael Augustine’s home [photo], is a tenth of a mile down the street from the other King’s. It is where he told police to go first when he called 911 

King lived alone in the house after recently separating from his wife-of-30 years.
Police found the men outside King’s home in Raytown, Missouri. Augustine had arrived there drunk, thinking it was his own house, and attacked the older man. He then called 911 and told police he had returned home to find
King lived alone in the house after recently separating from his wife-of-30 years. Until recently, he had been working for Jackson County Parks and Recreations as a groundskeeper but he had to stop due to an illness, his sister-in-law Carla said.
She described him as ‘quiet and reserved’ but said she was not surprised by neighbors’ characterizations of him as a good man and neighbor.

Michael G. Augustine 3.png

Augustine [photo], posted his $150,000 bond and has moved out of the area.
No one in Clifton’s family had ever heard of Augustine before.
They say they are trying not to be emotional but that his smiling mugshot is a cruel reminder of what they have lost.
‘We see no remorse. We feel that it is very smirkish, it’s like “you really don’t care if this is the life of an innocent man?
‘We’re trying to let the justice system work, but it’s very difficult. It is very difficult looking at that [Augustine’s] picture. It’s like he’s laughing about it,’ she said.
Before retiring to become a groundskeeper, King was as a sheet metal worker for 20 years.
He and his wife adopted two young relatives whose own parents could not care for them, but they did not have any biological children of their own.
The man’s estranged wife and his niece both work for the Kansas Police Department, his sister-in-law said.