Trending Now

Autopsy determines Sherin Mathews adopted girl, 3, was homicide victim

Popular Stories

Sherin Mathews died a little more than a year after she was adopted from an Indian orphanage.
The medical examiner’s office said findings suggested that the tot died from “homicidal violence,” not natural causes, according to autopsy findings released Wednesday.
Dallas County medical examiner’s office spokesman, Steven Kurtz, said Sherin Mathews was a victim of homicide but that he couldn’t provide any other details from the autopsy at this point. The Texas attorney general’s office must decide whether the full report can be released to the public, he said.
Dad of missing Texas girl, changes story after her body is found! Wesley Mathews has been charged in the death of 3-year-old Sherin

Wesley Mathews in court in Dallas 1.png
Main suspect, Sherin’s dad Wesley Mathews in court in Dallas

Police in Richardson have released their findings in Sherin’s October death to the Dallas County district attorney’s office, and a grand jury this month is expected to review charges filed against the girl’s adoptive parents, Wesley and Sini Mathews.
The couple is being held at the Dallas County jail: Wesley Mathews is held on a $1 million bond and faces a charge of felony injury to a child, while his wife has a bond of $250,000 on a charge of abandoning a child.
Mitch Nolte, the attorney for Sini Mathews, told WFAA-TV that he’s received a copy of the full autopsy report and that nothing in it implicates his client in the girl’s death.

Sini Mathews 1.jpg
Sherin’s mom, Sini Mathews, in court in Dallas

An attorney for Wesley Mathews, Rafael De La Garza, did not immediately return a call Wednesday for comment on the autopsy findings.
Wesley Mathews initially told police Sherin disappeared after he punished her by sending her out in the night to stand by a tree near the home.
He later told investigators Sherin had developmental disabilities and was malnourished. He described a special diet regimen in which she had to eat whenever she was awake in order to gain weight.
Mathews said he had been trying to get the girl to drink milk in the garage of their home, according to an arrest affidavit filed by Richardson police.
“Eventually the 3-year-old girl began to drink the milk. Wesley Mathews then physically assisted the 3-year-old girl in drinking the milk,” according to the affidavit.
Mathews told police that Sherin choked and coughed and eventually he felt no pulse and believed the child had died. Investigators wrote that he “then admitted to removing the body from the home.”

Wesley and Sherin Mathews 2Wesley and Sini Mathews risk losing their parental rights to their 4-year-old biological daughter, as well 

Sherin’s disappearance in October generated a broad search involving a number of law enforcement agencies. Her body was found in the culvert Oct. 22.
Richardson police Sgt. Kevin Perlich would not say if additional charges could be forthcoming in light of the autopsy results, explaining that decision would be left to the district attorney’s office.
The couple who adopted Sherin in June 2016, have a 4-year-old biological daughter now staying with family in the Houston area. The courts have already taken away their parental visitation rights. If their parental rights are also terminated, she could be placed up for adoption.

Leave a Reply