. O’Brien has been convicted of murder of Josh Hanson after three years on the run at the Old Bailey
The chilling footage, released at the request of his victim’s family today, shows Shane O’Brien calmly walking out of the bar as blood pours from Josh Hanson’s neck, before going on the run for more than three years.
O’Brien, 31, until recently, Britain’s most wanted man slashed 21-year-old Hanson’s neck open in a bloody public murder in a West London bar in 2015.
Shane O’Brien is shown with a palmed knife moments before he slashes Josh Hanson’s neck
In seconds O’Brien raises the knife to the 21-year-old’s neck in the bar in West London and severed his carotid artery
Victim: Josh Hanson [photo], had his neck slashed in a bar in Hillingdon, London in 2015. He was pronounced dead at the scene
O’Brien was found guilty of murdering 21-year-old Josh in an act of “pitiless savagery” today after an international manhunt brought him to justice.
He fled the country on a private jet in 2015 after calmly walking out of RE Bar in Hillingdon and arranging the flight to the Netherlands.
The 31-year-old grew his long hair and a beard and got the tattoo of his child’s name covered over as he used false identity documents to travel to countries including Germany, Belgium and the Czech Republic.
The CCTV footage released today shows O’Brien walk up to Josh in the busy bar with the knife in his right hand.
O’Brien then slashes Josh’s neck at speed before people run away in terror as blood gushes from the wound.
He is then seen coolly walking out of the bar with his hands in his jacket pockets.
The video also shows O’Brien visit an Indian restaurant and go clothes shopping in Ashford, Kent after the horrific murder.
Friends helped the boxing and martial arts fan avoid authorities after he was added to both Europol and Interpol’s most wanted lists.
The fatal knife attack took place at RE Bar in West London, UK, in 2015
21-year-old who was at the bar with his girlfriend Josh Hanson was pronounced dead at the scene after O’Brien slashed his neck with a knife in a sneak attack, inside a pub in West London, nearly four years ago
After an international manhunt O’Brien was finally arrested in Romania on March 23 this year and brought back to Britain on April 5.
The court heard O’Brien “cried like a baby” while getting a tattoo covered to help evade detection while on the run.
A tattoo artist in Prague named Thiago created a large tattoo on the fugitive O’Brien’s back in 2016 depicting an owl clutching a skull between its talons, concealing the name of one of his children.
He said the 31-year-old, now operating under the alias Enzo Mellonceli, was anxious to have the bizarre, menacing image completed as quickly as possible and appeared evasive and on edge when asked about his background during small talk.
O’Brien is arrested in Romania
O’Brien who got a tattoo to cover the name of his child as he went on the run, reportedly cried like a baby during the tattoo removal
Take down: UK fugitive Shane O’Brien was arrested in Romania after nearly four years on the run
A statement the tattoo artist gave to police said: “When it came to the third session, when I started tattooing he cried like a baby and said it was really painful.
“He said he would come back the next day, as he would spend more time in Prague as he had found a job.
“I asked him what did he do here? He looked like he didn’t want to tell me. I could see he didn’t want to talk about it.”
The tattoo was completed after a month.
The camouflage worked until O’Brien was arrested in the Czech capital for assault, in 2017.
A mugshot of a bearded O’Brien, complete with long-hair in a bid to change his appearance, was then released which sparked a renewed appeal in the international hunt for nab the fugitive.
Still, the killer allegedly slipped through the dragnet. He was not flagged as a fugitive as he had been travelling under his assumed alias of Mellonceli, supported by false documentation.
Shane O’Brien [right], aka Enzo Mellonceli, changed his appearance [left], after going on the run. The killer has been found guilty of murder
CCTV footage showed O’Brien at RE Bar in Hillingdon
Hanson, the victim [arrowed], had been at the bar with his girlfriend on the night
The fatal cold-blooded attack took place at RE Bar in West London. The 21-year-old victim who had been at the bar with his girlfriend on the night, was pronounced dead at the scene, landing O’Brien on both Europol and Interpol’s most wanted lists.
At trial, O’Brien testified that he had felt threatened by Hanson’s “very aggressive body language”, claiming he felt the roads planner was “ready to attack me” and may have been armed.
At bar closing time, the killer approached Hanson, asking him “what’s your problem?” before pulling the knife from a pocket of his expensive Canada Goose jacket and fatally slashing his victim.
O’Brien claimed he wanted only to “pretend to attack” Hanson with the blade to “scare him”, adding: “From the bottom of my heart, I did not mean to touch him with that blade.”
Jurors convicted O’Brien of murder, after only 55 minutes of deliberations. His sentencing is scheduled for October 17.