Trending Now

Sinaloa cartel brings havoc to Mexico after arrest of El Chapo’s son as police officer who arrested Ovidio Guzmán López briefly last month is assassinated in a hail of bullets

Popular Stories

Mexican police officer who arrested El Chapo’s son is assassinated in a hail of bullets
Murder took place near shopping center in Culiacan, Sinaloa, on Wednesday 
Footage shows two gunmen emerge from a red sedan in parking lot 
They fire 155 rounds into a white Nissan driven by a Sinaloa state police officer
The authorities identified the dead cop as 32-year-old officer Eduardo ‘N’, a high-level officer with Sinalo’s State Preventive Police. Local reports say he was involved in operation to arrest El Chapo’s son
With their father jailed in the U.S, Ovidio Guzmán López, 28, who now runs the drug empire with his brothers was briefly arrested by authorities on Oct 17
His arrest prompted Sinaloa cartel to begin an orgy of violence in Culiacan, with Cartel gunmen holding soldiers and police hostage in Sinaloa 
Police demanded Guzman Lopez call on his brother to stop the attacks, but after his brother refused, Guzman Lopez was released by the security forces 
Dozens of bullet casings litter the sidewalk in Mexico 2.JPGAt least two men armed with semiautomatic rifles fired 155 bullets into a white Nissan parked near a shopping center in the Sinaloa city of Culiacan n Wednesday, killing police officer Eduardo ‘N’

The victim was a high-level officer with Sinalo’s State Preventive Police.
Local media reports indicate that the officer was involved in the October 17 arrest of Ovidio Guzmán López, the son of Sinaloa cartel boss Joaquín ‘El Chapo’ Guzmán.

The Mexican government released video footage of the ‘catch and release’ arrest of drug lord Ovidio Guzmán López’s October 17.  Mexican security forces had Guzman Lopez outside a house on his knees against a wall before they were forced to back off and let him go as his cartel’s gunmen shot up the Culiacan.

Defense Secretary Luis Cresencio Sandoval last week showed video and presented a timeline of the failed operation to arrest Guzmán López – an incident that embarrassed the administration of President Andrés Manuel López Obrador.
The video shot by soldiers shows Guzmán exit the house with his hands up.
Soldiers order him to call off the attacks around the city as gunfire is heard in the background.
Guzmán called his brother Archivaldo Iván Guzmán Salazar on his cellphone and told him to stop the chaos.
Archivaldo refused and shouted threats against the soldiers and their families.
The attacks continued and eight minutes later the first wounded soldiers were reported.


Officials in Mexico City ultimately ordered security forces to withdraw four hours after the operation began to avoid more bloodshed.
Mexico’s Public Safety Secretary Alfonso Durazo said that the aborted operation to arrest Guzmán Lopez was a ‘hasty action’ that deserves criticism – but the details revealed showed that the arrest had been in the works for more than a week.
The government’s timeline of events showed that the U.S. government requested Guzmán Lopez’s arrest for extradition on September 13, and on October 9 a special Mexican army anti-drug unit traveled from Mexico City to Culiacan to prepare.
Authorities were still in the process of obtaining a search warrant when the operation began on October 17 outside a large home where Guzmán Lopez had been located.
As they moved on the house, gunmen began attacking those involved in the operation.
Sandoval said that once lawmen came under attack, the search warrant was no longer needed.
What seemed clear was that once the operation started, government forces were quickly outmaneuvered by the Sinaloa cartel.
Military planners had four additional teams forming an outer security ring for the operation, but the cartel’s gunmen cut off the routes for three of them preventing additional support from arriving. 

At one military housing block, a sergeant ushered children who were playing outside to safety, but he was taken hostage.
In all, two officers and nine soldiers were taken hostage by the cartel, according to Sandoval.
The bulk of them were providing security for two fuel tanker convoys at a toll plaza on the outskirts of the city.
Sandoval said soldiers estimated that 150 gunmen in 30 vehicles arrived.
Once Guzmán Lopez was released, all the military personnel were let go as well and the team that had captured Guzmán Lopez left.
It was unclear was who was negotiating with cartel during the confrontation.
Sandoval said that the leader of the team with Guzmán Lopez was offered $3million to let him go, but refused and was then told the cartel would kill him and his family.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: