E-cigarette turns to e-rocket
Explodes in man’s pocket ‘like a rocket’
– ‘melting’ his leg and missing his son by inches
Scroll down to watch video ………
A shocking e-cigarette explosion has been caught on camera – as a battery bursts into flames in a man’s pocket just inches from his seven-year-old son.
Mick Bennett, 47, was severely burned and spent 10 days in Wythenshawe Hospital in Manchester, needing skin grafts.
He has also lost some feeling in his leg due to nerve damage.
Mick, from Bamford, Rochdale , had been skating around Bury Roller Rink with two of his children when the battery “went off like a rocket”.
You can seen in the video how the electrician was going to take the hand of his youngest son Michael when his pocket all of a sudden combusted,
reports Manchester Evening News.
Mick said: “I’d been picking my son up the whole time as he kept falling over, that explosion could’ve been in his face.
“I’d taken a day off work to take my eldest and youngest rollerskating as my wife Rosemary needed to work.
“The battery wasn’t even on, I don’t know what happened, it just went off like a Roman candle or something.
“The lights came on and the music went off – people were just staring at me, and then the manager ran over to see if I was okay.”
Mick said his trousers had melted and were smouldering and he also ended up with burns to his hands from trying to put out the flames.
He now has to attend hospital every two days for his burns to be redressed.
“It was a nightmare, I was in shock and the kids were just silent, they were terrified,” he added.
“These things shouldn’t be able to just go off like that. I’ve been onto trading standards as well as the remains of the battery is now with them.”
Mick has now sought legal advice from Manchester-based Carter and Carter Solicitors.
“It was a scary experience. I turned to ecigs two years ago to quit smoking. Since this happened I haven’t touched one and certainly don’t intend to,” he added.
The M.E.N. has contacted the makers of the EFEST battery for a response.
Last week mum Jana Barker was left with horrific burns to her legs after the same brand battery exploded in her handbag while she was in the car with her daughter and husband.
Just weeks earlier, another young woman ended up needing plastic surgery after her EFEST battery combusted in her flat.
Kirby Sheen’s eye lid was split in two by the mouth-piece of the device which was propelled towards her by the blast.