Jose Mourinho won’t say ‘sorry’ as Eva Carneiro settles constructive dismissal claim as Chealsea FC, but club tenders unreserved apologies to the former team doctor
Controversially dismissed Ex-first team doctor Eva Carneiro, 42, and Chelsea reach settlement over constructive dismissal claim
Carneiro accused club’s fomer manager Mourinho, of discrimination, claims he called her ‘daughter of a whore’
Chelsea bigwigs storm tribunal to bring a dramatic halt to the case
Last minute settlement reached by all parties, case drooped just before tribunal hearing was to begin
Carneiro willing to accept standing payoff offer worth more than $1.73m (£1.2m), received the apology she demanded
Club ‘apologises unreservedly’ – but Jose Mourinho simply will not say sorry
Chelsea were forced to issue a humiliating apology to Eva Carneiro on Tuesday night after they and Jose Mourinho dramatically agreed a pay-off with their former first-team doctor, just moments before she was due to testify against them at a tribunal. The drama unfolded as The club’s former manager,, and senior lieutenants of Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich turned up unannounced at the hearing on Tuesday. This was followed by an abrupt end to the constructive dismissal and sex discrimination suit filed by former first team doctor, Carneiro.
Jose Mourinho dramatically turned up to close the deal before proceedings started
The controversial treatment for Eden Hazard which led to the spat between Carneiro and Mourinho
A statement released by the club added: “Dr Carneiro has always put the interests of the club’s players first. Dr Carneiro is a highly competent and professional sports doctor. She was a valued member of the club’s medical team and we wish her every success in her future career.
“Jose Mourinho also thanks Dr Carneiro for the excellent and dedicated support she provided as First Team Doctor and he wishes her a successful career.
However, it came from the club and not from Mourinho, the new Manchester United manager, who escaped a poisonous public trial during which he was due to be grilled for two days next week by Carneiro’s barrister – an Old Trafford season-ticket holder.
His and Chelsea’s conciliatory statement was in stark contrast to the skeleton argument they had submitted 24 hours earlier in which they denied any wrongdoing and sought to paint Carneiro as fame-hungry, money-grabbing and lacking the commitment to progress in her profession.
Former Chelsea Jose Mourinho and former first team doctor, Dr Eva before the split
Indeed Chelsea finally acknowledged on Tuesday that Carneiro had done nothing wrong during the central incident, last August, in which she ran on to the pitch to treat Eden Hazard in the match against Swansea City on the opening day of the Premier League season. It was after that that she was demoted by Mourinho and that led to her acrimonious departure.
Chelsea said: “The club regrets the circumstances which led to Dr Carneiro leaving the club and apologises unreservedly to her and her family for the distress caused.
“We wish to place on record that, in running on to the pitch, Dr Carneiro was following both the rules of the game and fulfilling her responsibility to the players as a doctor, putting their safety first.
“Dr Carneiro has always put the interests of the club’s players first. Dr Carneiro is a highly competent and professional sports doctor. She was a valued member of the club’s medical team and we wish her every success in her future career.
As well as a payoff likely to exceeded the $1.73m (£1.2 million) standing offer , rejected earlier by Carneiro, she also received the apology that she had been demanding. Mourinho however, offered no apology. He simply wished her a “successful career”.
Dr Eva had been due to take the stand today, when Daniel Stilitz atorney for for Chelsea and Mourinho, said: “We are pleased to be able to tell the tribunal that the parties agreed a settlement on confidential terms.”
Club owner Roman Abramovich, Director of Football, Mike Emenalo, Chairman Bruce Buck – The big guns were out in full force to ‘kill’ the ‘constructive dismissal’ suit at all costs
The former team doctor responded with a statement: “I am relieved that today we have been able to conclude this tribunal case. It has been an extremely difficult and distressing time for me and my family and I now look forward to moving forward with my life.
“My priority has always been the health and safety of the players and fulfilling my duty of care as a doctor. In running onto the pitch to treat a player, who requested medical attention, I was following the rules of the game and fulfilling my medical responsibilities.
“I would like to thank everyone who has supported me including my husband, family and friends and members of the football community.”
Chelsea said they were “pleased to announce” the hearing had come to an end.
The club apologised to Dr Carneiro and said that running onto the pitch was “both following the rules” and “fulfilling her responsibility as a doctor”.
Leave a Reply