Dad from hell David Turpin didn’t just starve and torture his 13 kids, he was also a perv, prosecutors said Thursday as they announced charges against Turpin and his wife.
“We’re alleging David Turpin touched one of the victims in a lewd way by using force or fear,” Riverside County District Attorney Mike Hestrin said at a press conference.
Parents David Allen Turpin, 57, and Louise Anna Turpin, 49, were taken into custody on Sunday for the nightmarish conditions inside their home.
Their malnourished children aged 2-29, were only allowed one meal a day and just two showers per year, were so underdeveloped when authorities rescued them that officials say the years of malnourishment likely stunted their growths.
Singled out was Mom-from-hell Louise Turpin [left], who authorities say treated her dogs better than her own kids, a new report reveals. Her pair of 1-year-old Maltese mixes were in “good condition” when Turpin handed them over to animal control following her arrest, ‘hale and hearty’ unlike any of her 13 offspring.
David and Louise Turpin entered not guilty pleas on all 38 charges in Riverside, California, on Thursday afternoon.
Appearing in matching black outfits, David was represented by a public defender but Louise was represented by attorney Jeff Moore.
The couple’s next court date is February 23rd and they will remain in custody, with bail set at $13million each.
Hours earlier, Riverside County District Attorney Michael Hestrin described in detail how they allegedly tortured the children. The charges included neglect, abuse of children and of a dependent adult and in the case of David Turpin, one count of a lewd act against one of his daughters. Hestrin revealed more, disturbing details of how they tortured their children by making them stay up all night and forcing them to sleep all day.
The children, it emerged, kept journals of the abuse and hundreds were gathered from the house and will be likely used as evidence against the parents. None had ever seen a dentist and did not know what police officers were when they were rescued. The children had been plotting their escape for two years when they were rescued on Sunday from the family home in Perris, California, where they had lived since 2014.
‘House of Horror’ parents, David and Louise Turpin with their 13 children
The Turpins, who are being held in separate cells inside the Robert Presley Detention Center, spoke only to answer ‘yes’ when asked by Judge Michael Donner if they understood proceedings.
Louise Turpin faces 37 charges while her husband faces 38. They are both charged with the 12 counts of torture, 12 counts of false imprisonment, 7 charges of abusing a dependent adult and six counts of child abuse.
David [photo], is also charged with one count of a lewd act against a child under the age of 14. The alleged victim was one of his daughters.
They face up to 94 years to life in prison if convicted on all the charges.
Their bail was set at $13million each – $1million for every child they are accused of torturing.
These 13 children had never seen a dentist and the last doctor’s visit was four years prior. Ranging in age 2-29, all were malnourished and underdeveloped
The Turpin family home in Perris, California which was filthy and smelled like death according to rescuers
The pair were arrested Sunday after their 17-year-old daughter made a break for freedom and called 911 to the property — where cops found the children malnourished and living in squalor, with three chained to their beds.
Addressing a press conference, DA Michael Hestrin delivered details of how the defendants tortured their 13 children .
The DA described how they kept the children up all night and slept during the day in a suspected attempt to avoid any outsiders witnessing the abuse.Subjected them regularly to beating and occasionally strangled the victims, Hestrin alleged.
The only activity the children – who said they were chained up for months at a time – were allowed was to write journals, of which hundreds were recovered from the home and they are likely to be used as evidence against the parents.
Before Sunday’s dramatic rescue, the children had been plotting an escape for two years, he said. Two of the girls made the break on Sunday, but that daughter got frightened and turned back, leaving the 17-year-old to complete the task of seeking rescue for her siblings by herself.
None of the children, who are now in hospital, had have ever seen a dentist and none have seen a doctor for four years, Hestrin said.