Moment rap mogul Suge Knight was sentenced to 28 years in jail for crushing an adversary to death with his truck during the filming of ‘Straight Outta Compton’
Marion ‘Suge’ Knight was formally sentenced Thursday in Los Angeles after having pleaded no contest to voluntary manslaughter last month
Knight, 53, injured Cle Sloan and killed Terry Carter after running over both men with his Ford pickup at a los Angeles burger drive-thru in Jan 2015
Carter’s family gave emotional victim impact statements to the court Thursday
According to his plea agreement, Knight received a sentence of 22 years for voluntary manslaughter, another six years because it is a third strike violation
He has prior felony convictions for armed robbery and assault with a gun
Knight appeared emotionless throughout the proceedings
At the time of the hit-and-run, Knight turned up on set despite not being welcome due to a long-running feud with Dr Dre, who was there that day
Knight was told to leave by Cle Sloan, who was a consultant for the film – the pair got into an argument before Knight left
Marion Suge Knight seen [photo] in court, was sentenced to 28 years for running over Terry Carter with a truck, killing him while filming ‘Straight Outta Compton’
Former music industry heavyweight, Marion ‘Suge’ Knight has been sentenced to 28 years in prison for injuring one man and killing another when he hit them with his truck four years ago on the set of the movie ‘Straight Outta Compton’.
The former rap mogul, 53, stood and bestowed a cold menacing stare as he was handed the sentence on Thursday in a Los Angeles courtroom.
Prior to the sentencing, family members of victim Terry Carter presented tearful victim impact statements to the judge.
Carter was killed and Cle ‘Bone’ Sloan was injured when Knight rammed into them with his Ford pickup outside a burger drive-thru in south Los Angeles in January 2015 after an argument on the set of a commercial for the film ‘Straight Outta Compton’ turned violent.
In lieu of a life sentence, Knight pled no contest to voluntary manslaughter last month, a downgraded charge from previous murder, attempted murder and hit-and-run charges.
Showing no apparent remorse, Knight looked expressionless throughout the court proceedings on Thursday, even as family members voiced their anger and sadness over the Carter’s death, which was caught in chilling video.
Carter’s niece told the court through tears: ‘[Knight] never got out of the car, to see if my uncle was okay. This has to be in my family forever. Nothing will be the same. Not even an apology, condolences have been made to my family.’
After Judge Ronald S Coen expressed his sympathy, members of Carter’s family could be heard choking out a weak ‘thank you’.
Judge Coen then formally handed down the sentence agreed upon in the plea deal: 22 years for voluntary manslaughter and another six years because it is a third strike violation.
Knight was told to leave by Sloan, who was a consultant for the film, and the pair got into an argument before Knight left.
Carter, a businessman and record producer, became involved and agreed to help smooth things over, before suggesting the men meet at a nearby burger joint for truce talks.
Carter and Knight were seen exchanging friendly words in the drive-thru parking lot before Sloan arrived and a fist fight broke out with Knight.
While trying to escape, Knight clipped Sloan with his car, knocking him to the ground, before running over Carter, killing him.
Knight, who co-founded Death Row Records with Dr Dre, has always denied intentionally hitting either man.
Delays, detours and drama marked the run-up to Knight’s trial, which was expected to begin October 1 under tight security and secrecy.
Court officials had said no witness list would be released ahead of the trial, and some witnesses might not be identified by name during the case.
Knight collapsed during one court hearing, two of his former attorneys were indicted on witness-tampering charges, and his fiancée pleaded no contest to selling video of Knight hitting the two men with his truck.
His attorney Albert DeBlanc Jr., appointed by the court five months ago, was his 16th, and Knight tried to fire him and get yet another lawyer just a day before the deal was reached. DeBlanc declined comment Thursday.
While awaiting trial, Knight was also accused of threatening ‘Straight Outta Compton’ director F. Gary Gray.
Knight would frequently, against the advice of Coen and his attorneys, speak extensively during hearings, complaining about jail conditions, his attorneys and his health issues.
While Coen read legal language about the plea and told Knight he was subject to deportation if he was not a citizen, Knight said: ‘ICE is coming to get me?’ to a smattering of laughs – including from the judge.
The 53-year-old was a key player in the gangster rap scene that flourished in the 1990s, and his label once listed Dr. Dre, Tupac Shakur and Snoop Dogg among its artists.
Knight lost control of the company after it was forced into bankruptcy.
He has prior felony convictions for armed robbery and assault with a gun.
He pleaded no contest in 1995 and was sentenced to five years’ probation for assaulting two rap entertainers at a Hollywood recording studio in 1992.
He was sentenced in February 1997 to prison for violating terms of that probation by taking part in a fight at a Las Vegas hotel hours before Shakur was fatally wounded in a drive-by attack as he rode in Knight’s car just east of the Las Vegas Strip. Shakur’s slaying remains unsolved.
The former music mogul had faced life in prison if convicted of murder for killing Carter.