The son of slain mob associate Sylvester “Sally Daz” Zottola was arrested on murder-for-hire charges for plotting to whack his father and his brother, federal officials announced Tuesday. These two mobland ‘hits’ were all bought and paid for by a member of the immediate family, authorities say.
Anthony Zottola Sr., of Larchmont, N.Y., was busted with three other suspects in last year’s twin shootings of the older males in the Zottola family, authorities said.
The hits occurred just three months apart, with family patriarch Sally Daz executed as he sat behind the wheel of his car waiting for a cup of coffee at a McDonald’s drive-through window in the Bronx on October 4, 2018
71-year-old Sylvester ‘Sally DAZ’ Zottola, of Pelham Bay, NY was shot to death while sitting in a McDonald’s drive thru on Thursday, October 4 while returning home from a scheduled court appearance for an incident involving the illegal discharging of a weapon during a self-defense situation.
According to police, the shooter entered the McDonald’s property through a hole in a fence from an adjacent property, fired multiple 9 millimeter rounds at the Zottola before escaping through the same fence opening, fleeing in a gray sedan. Zottola was also arrested and charged with criminal possession of a weapon,\on June 12 after he fired his unlicensed handgun in front of his home in while fending off a would-be assailant, police said.
At his funeral Sylvester Zottola was eulogized by his daughter Debbie and his sons Anthony and Salvatore Jr., who was the target in a failed hit in three months earlier in July. 2018
In July, 2018, a gunman leaped out of car, ran up to Sally Daz Jr and fired at point blank range outside one of his homes. He went on to survive the multiple injuries. Investigators now say that hit was an attempt to lure his father out, all organized by his brother
Sal, the owner of DAZ Amusement, had been attacked on two previous occasions in the previous year, including a violent attack and knife slashing in December of 2017.
His son, Salvatore Zottola, 41, survived an early morning attempt on his own life outside his own home, three months earlier on July 11, 2018.he survived shots to the head, torso and hand.
The shooter fled in a dark-colored Nissan sedan.
The murder of Sally Daz was done “willfully, deliberately, maliciously and with premeditation,” the indictment alleged. Anthony Zottola and three other conspirators were expected this afternoon in Brooklyn Federal Court.
Federal prosecutors declined to provide any motives in the twin shootings, although the federal indictment mentioned an unspecified “promise and agreement to pay something of pecuniary value” for the hits. Authorities also recovered $45,000 in cash from a Brooklyn apartment one week after the killing of Sally Daz, court papers indicated.