Boko Haram Islamist militants behead and slit the throats of Nigerian rice farmers and fishermen in northern Nigerian state – 110 dead, dozens still missing after barbaric attack
CAUTION: Graphic Content
Boko Haram Islamist terrorists behead and slit the throats of Nigerian rice farmers and fishermen, dozens still missing after barbaric attack
The farmers were attacked at the Garin-Kwashebe rice field in Zabarmari community in Borno, a state in the north of Nigeria
The country’s northern states have borne the brunt of the terrorist insurgency
Varying reports say between 40 and 70 farm workers were rounded up and slaughtered by the militants
Boko Haram has not claimed responsibility but is believed to be behind attack
Villagers buried the dead on Sunday but dozens, including women, are missing
A federal legislator said the farmers were attacked because they had disarmed and arrested a Boko Haram gunman on Friday who had been tormenting them.
More than 110 rice farmers and fisherman have been brutally slaughtered and decapitated by suspected Islamist militants in a farming community in Borno, a state in the norther part Nigeria, on Saturday, November 28
The workers had been tied up and had their throats slit in the horrific attack in Borno state, with up to 110 people feared dead.
Initially reported the reported death toll in Saturday’s attack by the Jihadists was 43. However, the United Nations Humanitarian Coordinator in Nigeria, Edward Kallon, in a statement released on Sunday afternoon said that no fewer than 110 farmers were killed in Saturday, November 28 attack on rice farms in Zabarmari community in Borno state.
“I am outraged and horrified by the gruesome attack against civilians carried out by non-state armed groups in villages near Borno State capital Maiduguri. At least 110 civilians were ruthlessly killed and many others were wounded in this attack.
In early afternoon of 28 November, armed men on motorcycles led a brutal attack on civilian men and women who were harvesting their fields in Koshobe and other rural communities in Jere Local Government Area. Reports we are receiving are indicating these innocent farmers were the victims of this callous violence.”
Though the victims lived in Zabarmari, a farming community in Jere Local Government Area of the state famous for rice cultivation and local processing, they were attacked at Koshebe village, in Mafa Local Government Area while working in a rice field.
The attack is believed to have been a retaliatory attack carried out by Boko Haram although they are yet to claim responsibility.
Villagers in Borno buried the victims on Sunday while security forces hunted for the dozens still missing with up to 70 people feared dead.
The attack is believed to have been carried out by Boko Haram although they are yet to claim responsibility.
It was staged in a rice field in Garin Kwashebe, a community known for rice farming, on the day residents of the state were casting votes for the first time in 13 years to elect local government councils.
The farmers were reportedly rounded up and summarily killed by armed insurgents.
One resident and Amnesty International said 10 women were among those missing. Malam Zabarmari, a leader of a rice farmers association in Borno state, said: ‘The farmers were attacked at the Garin-Kwashebe rice field in Zabarmari community, and according to reports reaching us since afternoon, about 40 of them were killed.’
It was staged in a rice field in Garin Kwashebe, a community known for rice farming, on the day residents of the state were casting votes for the first time in 13 years.
The farmers were reportedly rounded up and summarily killed by armed insurgents with at least 30 people beheaded
Nigerian president Muhammadu Buhari expressed grief over the killings.
‘I condemn the killing of our hardworking farmers by terrorists in Borno State. The entire country is hurt by these senseless killings. My thoughts are with their families in this time of grief. May their souls rest in peace,’ he said in a statement.
Buhari said the government had given all the needed support to the armed forces ‘to take all necessary steps to protect the country’s population and its territory’.
A member of the House of Representatives, Ahmed Satomi, who represents the Jere Federal constituency of Borno, confirmed that the ‘Farmers and fishermen were killed in cold blood.
A huge crowd of mourners attended the funeral while dozens more are feared missing as security forces hunt for them.
The federal legislator said the farmers were attacked because they had disarmed and arrested a Boko Haram gunman on Friday who had been tormenting them.
‘Over 60 farmers were affected, but we only have so far received 43 corpses from the farms and we are preparing for their burials today, Sunday by God’s grace.’
‘A lone gunman, who was a member of Boko Haram, came to harass the farmers by ordering them to give him money and also cook for him.
‘While he was waiting for the food to be cooked, the farmers seized the moment he stepped into the toilet to snatch his rifle and tied him up,’ he said.
‘They later handed him over to the security. But sadly, the security forces did not protect the courageous farmer. And in reprisal for daring them, the Boko Haram mobilized and came to attack them on their farms.’
Insurgents also torched the rice farms before leaving, the member of the federal House of Reps said.
Leave a Reply