“We want the ex-Minister to shed more light on how about $322million was disbursed to the Office of the National Security Adviser(ONSA).”
The leading agency probing economic fraud in the past government of Nigeria, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission EFCC, is indicating that it may be through with the first phase of the probe, which led to the arraignment of ex-National Security Adviser (NSA) Sambo Dasuki and 10 others.
The interrogation of the likes of Dasuki and the others now facing trial or about to be arraigned seems to have convinced the agency of the need to dig deeper than originally planned.
A top source said: “We are beginning the second phase of the ongoing investigation of the $2.1b arms deals on Monday. From the preliminary findings, the scandal is mind-boggling.
“We are going to question more high-profile serving and former public officers, including a former Minister of Finance, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, on the release of some funds.”
Dr Ngozi okonji-Iwuala, former Nigerian finance minister credit The Nation
“We want the ex-Minister to shed more light on how about $322million was disbursed to the Office of the National Security Adviser(ONSA).
“Some serving and former military chiefs will have to respond to issues which we have already isolated for clarification.”
The source said investigators had already obtained the list of military equipment which were bought and the inventory by the Armed Forces.
“This explains why some serving and former military chiefs will need to come and assist our investigators,”he said.
“Some of the companies which supplied these equipment have been contacted too.”
On the purchase of security vehicles for Niger Republic, the EFCC is said to have established that the money was withdrawn from the ONSA account in two installments of €1, 401,869 and €2,252,252.25,
The commission is keen to confirm whether or not the vehicles were bought and under what diplomatic or bilateral security cooperation. This could entail finding out from the Republic of Niger if there was such assistance from Nigeria.
The initial cash of €1, 401,869 was drawn from the Central Bank in an October 2013 through ONSA memo ACCT/87/VOL.1/384.
The second tranche of €2,252,252.25 was got from the CBN in an April 1, 2014 via a memo ACCT/87/VOL.1/60
The first memo to the CBN Governor, “Transfer of foreign exchange”, said: “You are please requested to transfer the sum of €1, 401,869.00 only in favour of SEI Societe d’equipments Internanaux-Niamey-Niger BP 11737 as payment for the supply of security vehicles to Republic of Niger. The wire transfer details are as follows: Banque: SONIBANK (Republique du Niger-Niamey). Compete N025111123981/22. Code Banque:80064. Code Guichrt: 01001.
“The amount should be charged to National Security Adviser Account no. 0020172241019 with the Central Bank of Nigeris Abuja and all charges thereto.
“Please accept the assurances of the National Security Adviser.”
Ibrahim Dasuki, former security adviser now under investigation credit premiumtimesng.com