News Ticker

Prankster costs Burger King $10,000 in Damages: Employees in Minnesota AND Oklahoma duped into smashing up their restaurants

Popular Stories

… this is no joke
‘Prank caller pretended to be from fire department’

  • Staff in Shawnee, OK, received prank call from ‘the fire dept’ on Thursday
  • And employees in Coon Rapids, MN, got the same call on Friday
  • The caller told Burger King staff the buildings were full of carbon monoxide
  • To stop the place exploding, they said, they had to smash all windows
  • Employees dutifully smashed everything, left $10,000-worth of damage 
  • But when they called fire dept to follow-up, they found out it was a ‘joke’

A prank caller persuaded Burger King employees in Minnesota and Oklahoma to smash all the windows of their fast food restaurant to stop the building from exploding.
Posing as a fire department official, the caller convinced two outlets – one in Shawnee, OK, on Thursday; one in Coon Rapids, MN, on Friday – that there were perilously high levels of carbon monoxide filling up the buildings.
The only way to save the place from exploding, they said, was to smash all the windows as quickly as possible.
Passers-by in both cities looked on baffled as they saw uniformed staff running around, kicking and slamming the windows with chairs until they shattered.

330787b700000578-3532505-image-m-2_1460293534481MINNESOTA: A prank caller persuaded Burger King employees to smash all the windows of their fast food restaurant to stop the building from exploding. Pictured: footage of staff kicking the windows in Coon Rapids3307879d00000578-3532505-image-m-4_1460293593692Passers-by looked on baffled as they saw uniformed staff running around the eatery, kicking and slamming the windows with chairs until they shattered. Pictured: One staff member kicking a window on Friday3307b79700000578-3532505-image-a-10_1460294651571OKLAHOMA: On Thursday, staff in Shawnee, Oklahoma, received the same call and also heeded the advice3307b79300000578-3532505-image-a-11_1460294675419Pictures from the scene show glass covering the tables and chairs, which are now closed to the public3307b78300000578-3532505-image-a-13_1460294758667Officials estimate Oklahoma’s establishment has been left with $10,000 worth of damage

After smashing the windows they called the fire department to reassess the situation – and to their confusion the responding officers had no idea what they were talking about. When fire fighters eventually reached the building they found no trace of a gas leak. Officials estimate Oklahoma’s establishment has been left with $10,000 worth of damage, KSTP reports.

‘The employee stated that a person called them and told them there were high levels of carbon monoxide in their building, and they needed to break out all their windows,’ Thomas Larman, spokesman for the Shawnee Fire Department, told KSTP.
A passer-by in Coon Rapids posted video footage of the moment on YouTube.
At least three employees are seen kicking the windows repeatedly, pushing out all the glass from the frames.
By the end of the clip, crowds of people are seen staring dumbstruck at the bizarre scene.

330787a300000578-3532505-image-m-8_1460294198218

 

330787b300000578-3532505-image-a-9_1460294218640
MINNESOTA: A passer-by in Coon Rapids posted footage of the moment on Friday night as crowds stared
3307b77e00000578-3532505-image-a-14_1460294782543OKLAHOMA: The windows in Shawnee are now boarded up after the incident on Thursday night
Lets us know what you think of this article. Like? Dislike? Funny? Interesting? Cool? Drop us a line in the comment box or join us on facebook and twitter to help us give you a better reading experience

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: