Trending Now

Debra Haynes-Thomas killed Peter G. Wiepert striking him with a ceramic statue while he slept in his home, sentenced almost 23 years

Popular Stories

Debra Haynes-Thomas beat Peter Weipert to death in his sleep with a ceramic statue after an arguement in his home

Debra Haynes-Thomas, 48 killed boyfriend Peter Wiepert, 56, while he slept in his home, Nov. last year

The couple had argued, while Wiepert dozed off Haynes-Thomas hit him in the head with a heavy ceramic statue, causing fatal brain injuries

Haynes-Thomas covered the body with beddings, turned on the gas, lit a candle and fled the home

Arrested at a hotel, trying to harm herself

Pled guilty to first-degree manslaughter, sentenced to  22 1/2 year sentence, will be deported to her native Trinidad on release

debra_haynes2Debra Haynes-Thomas was found competent to stand trial for the murdur of Peter Weipert

Debra Haynes-Thomas, 48, of Cazenovia Street admitted to killing her enstranged boyfriend Peter G. Wiepert on Nov. 14 at his home after the couple had an argument. According to prosecutors, Wiepert was asleep when Haynes-Thomas hit him in the head with a heavy ceramic statue, causing fatal brain injuries.According to the police this was “It was a domestic relationship that had gone very bad.”

Wiepert, 56, the vice president of Tri-Star Auto Repairs on Genesee Street in Cheektowaga, had been trying to break up with Haynes-Thomas, He was found dead after police were called to check on him at about 6 p.m. the next day. The cause of death for Wiepert who leaves behind two daughters and two grandchildren, was described as blunt-force trauma.
When the police went to the home to check on Wiepert’s welfare, they  found that all the burners on the gas stove had been turned on and a candle lit nearby, on the kitchen counter. A searche of the home, led them to finding Wiepert’s body covered with pillows and blankets on his bed.
Haynes-Thomas herself was arrested  a day after the attack by Monroe County sheriff’s deputies, who were called to a hotel near Rochester, upstate New York  because a woman there reportedly had tried to harm herself. The deputies took her to a Hospital for treatment and an evaluation.

She was arraigned on a charge of second-degree murder four days later. The court also ordered a psychiatric evaluation. Prosecutor Michael P. Felicetta told the court Thursday that two doctors had deemed Haynes-Thomas competent to stand trial.
Instead, Haynes-Thomas pleaded guilty to the lesser included charge of first-degree manslaughter, which has a maximum penalty of 25 years in prison. A murder conviction could bring a sentence of 25 years to life.
State Supreme Court Justice Russell P. Buscaglia told Haynes-Thomas that, contingent on the results of a presentencing investigation, he would commit to a sentencing range of 20 to 22½ years.

Haynes-Thomas convicted of first-degree murder, will be sentenced to 22 1/2 years in prison

Felicetta said the District Attorney’s Office consulted with the victim’s family and they had approved of the plea arrangement.
Haynes-Thomas is a citizen of Trinidad and will be deported when she is released from prison. She returns to court for sentencing May 25.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: