Suspected serial killer says cops should apologize to victims’ families, taxpayers and himself after search for bodies is aborted in Mocamb, Michigan
Arthur Ream who cops say, had bragged about murdering up to six more girls decades ago, has accused authorities of wasting tax payer dollars on a wild goose chase
The missing girls were last seen between 1970 and 1982, and were 12 to 17 years old, investigators now believe that Ream is a serial killer and possibly implicated after the alleged jailhouse bragging
Authorities reacted by instituting a search for the remains of possible missing victims, but the search was called off last week without yielding any remains
The 69-year-old convicted killer currently is serving a life sentence in Michigan for raping and killing 13-year-old Cindy Zarzycki
However, Ream admits only to raping and burying Zarzycki in 1986 even after after he led police to her remains in 2008
22 years after her death he still he denies killing the teen
Braggart serial killer Arthur Ream, is now demanding an apology from authorities because they couldn’t catch him on serial rape and murder. Ream is serving life in prison for a rape and murder conviction
A convicted rapist and killer in Michigan who police say bragged about murdering up to six more girls decades ago is demanding apologies from authorities after they failed to find the remains of his alleged victims.
69-year-old Arthur Ream said police should apologize to both himself and the families of victims after authorities suspended their efforts to find the victims’ remains.
Arthur Ream, serving life for raping and killing 13-year-old Cindy Zarzycki, told the Detroit Free Press in a story published Monday :”no bodies there that I know of.” Authorities stopped the search in the wooded area in Macomb Township last week as they evaluated what to do next.
“He owes them a big apology for getting their hopes up in this case,” Ream told the Free Press, referring to the victims’ families.
“He owes Cindy Zarzycki’s family a big apology for bringing up bad memories. And he owes me an apology for just getting me dragged into this…”
He also said in the phone interview that the police should apologize to the taxpayers for the exhaustive search.
Ream admits to raping and burying Cindy Zarzycki, who went missing in 1986. He led police to her remains in 2008, and is serving life in prison for rape and murder. However, he has maintained that he is reponsible for hear death.
Warren Police Commissioner Bill Dwyer sees it differently: “If anybody owes an apology, it’s him and that’s why he’s in prison for life for murder and rape,” Commissioner Dwyer says.
“Why would law enforcement — the Warren Police Department, the FBI, the Michigan State Police — apologize to him?
“This was a task force. We all believe we have the probable cause. I said our suspect. I always used the word suspect. I never used his name.”
Search crews stopped excavations in awooded area in Macomb Township, Michigan last week in search of the missing girls
Dwyer added that “we don’t go by cost when you’re trying to bring closure to the family of victims.”
“How can you put a cost on bringing closure to families that have suffered for 35 years for an investigation that is really our responsibility and our obligation to do?,” Dwyer explained.
Investigators now believe that Ream [photo left], is a serial killer after the alleged jailhouse bragging.
The missing girls were last seen between 1970 and 1982, and were 12 to 17 years old.
“I’ve never had anything to do with any of them,” Ream told the Free Press in the interview that took place on Thursday. “There’s absolutely no connection between me and them at all.”
The accused serial killer said he had multiple reactions to the news of the search for the remains.
“To be honest with ya, on one hand I was laughing my ass off and on the other hand, I was pissed off,” Ream says.
“So, you take it for what it is. There’s no bodies there that I know of.”
He said he thought about making up fake maps to lead cops astray when he found out that cops believed he was a serial killer.
“With Cindy, I drew a map, telling them where she was,” Ream told the Free Press. “I was so mad at this detective, I drew some maps up and I was going to give them to him. I was just going to have him go dig, willy-nilly, someplace that I knew.”
Ream admitted to his insecurities with women: “I’ve had a rough time with women,” he told the newspaper.
Ream, 69, was transferred last week from a prison in Muskegon Heights to the Bellamy Creek Correctional Facility in Ionia.- “Due to the amount of media attention his case has received, we felt it was best for his safety and the safety of others, that he be moved,” said prison spokesman Chris Gautz.