Dopehead mother: Samantha Jones is charged with killing her baby in Bucks County, Pa., after he succumbed to on her drug contaminated breast milk
A 30-year-old mother of two has been charged with homicide in the death of her infant son who died after ingesting her drug contaminated breast milk.
Samantha Whitney Jones of Bucks County, Pennsylvania allegedly aided the demise of her 11-week-old baby boy after the child an autopsy revealed that the infant who died on April 2 had been breast fed milk containing a lethal cocktail of methadone, amphetamine and methamphetamine.
Jones, 30, was charged with his homicide Friday for the April 2 death of her child in their Bucks County, Pa., home.
An autopsy performed on the infant revealed a combination of drugs, allegedly transmitted through Jones’ breast milk, was responsible for the infant’s death, according to an affidavit of probable cause.
Jones told police that she was prescribed methadone for a painkiller addiction and was taking it both before and after giving birth to her son.
The child’s father informed police he found Jones and the baby in different rooms of the home around 6 a.m. when the child was crying, the document said. He then prepared a bottle of formula for his son and left for work. Jones fed the baby about a half an hour later, placed him in his bassinet and fell back asleep. The mother woke an hour later and found the boy “pale, with bloody mucus coming from his nose.”
A 911 dispatcher instructed Jones’ mother – who was also home at the time – to perform CPR until authorities arrived just before 7:40 a.m. New Britain Township police, who responded to the call, found the baby in cardiac arrest, the affidavit said. He rushed by an ambulance to Doylestown Hospital and was pronounced dead at 8:29 in the emergency room.
Jones said that she had switched the baby to formula three days before his death because he wasn’t getting enough milk through breastfeeding. On the morning of his death, however, Jones told police she decided to try again at around 3 a.m. because she was too tired to walk downstairs and prepare a bottle of formula.