Sandy Hook shooting wasn’t a hoax’ – Right wing conspiracy theorist, Alex Jones, admits 2012 school massacre was ‘100 per cent real’, but files for bankruptcy on his way to losing $150 million defamation suit
Right-wing conspiracy theorist Alex Jones admitted that the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre was ‘100 per cent real’ during his defamation trial
Admission came after attorney for plaintiffs submitted texts that proved that Jones lied during the discovery process, in claiming that he had never texted about the 2012 Sandy Hook shooting
Jones squirmed as he was told his lawyers mistakenly disclosed his Sandy Hook text messages which he said didn’t exist – as he finally admitted shooting wasn’t a hoax
Jury will determine how much Alex Jones will have to pay the parents, Neil Heslin and Scarlett Lewis who lost their six-year-old son in the massacre
Parents are seeking $150 million in compensation for defamation and intentional infliction of emotional distress, with a jury deciding if Jones and his company will pay punitive damages
Courts in Texas and Connecticut have already found Jones liable for defamation for his portrayal of the Sandy Hook massacre as a hoax
In both states, judges issued default judgements against Jones without trial, after he failed to respond to court orders and turn over documents
Jones was scolded by the judge on discovery that his main company, Free Speech Systems, filed for bankruptcy on Friday, mid-way through his two-week trial
Jones has portrayed the lawsuit as an attack on his First Amendment rights
However, emails and messages sent by Jones have now revealed that InfoWars was making $800k per-day in 2018
Jones’ lawyers handed over the digital messages to attorneys for the Sandy Hook parents by accident
The InfoWars host was shocked to discover that everything he had sent about the shooting had been handed over 12 days earlier
Judge Maya Guerra Gamble ruled that the information was ‘not properly turned over when it should have been’
Controversial right-wing talk show host Alex Jones appeared shocked in court Wednesday as he was told his lawyers had accidentally handed over hundreds of text messages by mistake after he told a court that they did not exist, after admitting that the Sandy Hook massacre did happen.
The dishonesty of the conspiracy theorist was spotlighted in a Texas court on Wednesday as a lawyer for a pair of Sandy Hook parents cross-examined the Infowars founder and fact-checked his answers in real-time.
The jury hearing the case will determine how much Jones will have to pay the parents, Neil Heslin and Scarlett Lewis, who won a default judgement against him earlier this year. An attorney representing Heslin and Lewis has asked the jury to award $150 million in damages.
Jones, who was the sole witness for the defense during the trial, did not fare well Wednesday as he was cross-examined by the plaintiffs’ attorney, Mark Bankston.
In a remarkable moment, Bankston disclosed to Jones and the court that he had recently acquired evidence proving Jones had lied when he claimed during the discovery process that he had never texted about the 2012 Sandy Hook shooting.
The InfoWars host squirmed in his seat after confirming his phone number was linked to the texts, after previously declaring under oath at the defamation hearing that there were no messages about Sandy Hook on his phone.
Jones appeared mortified on the stand, when he discovered that his team sent a digital copy of every text and email about Sandy Hook, despite declaring under oath that they didn’t exist.
Attorney Mark Banston, working for the Sandy Hook parents, revealed that they received the information 12 days ago, spanning years.
Jones called it their ‘Perry Mason’ moment during the trial, with Jones being accused of perjuring himself while giving evidence.
Jones previously testified that he was unable to find any emails regarding the Sandy Hook massacre, and was shocked when one was shown on screen to the court.
Jones was asked if he felt repeatedly claiming the shooting was a hoax was irresponsible, replying ‘it was, especially since I’ve met the parents.’
He claimed he was ‘under a lot of pressure’ at the time he claimed the slayings were a hoax, adding: ‘I truly meant it when I said those statements.
When I say something, I mean it, that I really could believe that it was totally staged, that point.’
But the parents of Jesse Heslin, 6, who was among the 26 people killed in the 2012 attack at the school in Newtown, Connecticut, have said an apology will not be enough.
The plaintiffs, Neil Heslin and Scarlett Lewis, insist Jones be held accountable for repeatedly spreading falsehoods about the shooting, They are seeking at least $150million in compensation.
Judge Maya Guerra Gamble instructed the jury that the entire contents of the phone was ‘not properly turned over when it should have been’.
The messages also reveals that InfoWars was making $800,00 a day in 2018, with the Sandy Hook parents lawyer adding ‘after your platforming, your numbers keep getting better.’
It is to determine how much the conspiracy theorist will have to pay the parents of a Sandy Hook shooting victim, in Austin, Texas. His main company, Free Speech Systems, filed for bankruptcy on Friday, midway through his two week trial.
Taking to the stand yesterday, Jones told the court that he had complied with pretrial evidence gathering even though he didn’t.
The judge sent the jury out of the room and strongly scolded Jones for also telling the court that he was bankrupt, which has not been determined.
Plaintiff’s attorneys were equally furious about Jones mentioning he is bankrupt, which they worry will taint a jury decision about damages.
‘This is not your show,’ Judge Maya Guerra Gamble told Jones. ‘Your beliefs do not make something true. You are under oath.’
Judge Maya Guerra Gamble went on to instruct the jury that the entire contents of the phone was ‘not properly turned over when it should have been’
Last September, Guerra admonished Jones in her default judgement over his failure to turn over documents requested by the Sandy Hook families.
A court in Connecticut issued a similar default judgement against Jones for the same reasons in a separate lawsuit brought by other Sandy Hook parents.
Jones has portrayed the lawsuit against him as an attack on his First Amendment rights.
The parents have asked the jury to award $150 million in compensation for defamation and intentional infliction of emotional distress, with a jury deciding if Jones and his company will pay punitive damages. Courts in Texas and Connecticut have already found Jones liable for defamation for his portrayal of the Sandy Hook massacre as a hoax.
In both states, judges issued default judgements against Jones without trials because he failed to respond to court orders and turn over documents.
Sandy Hook families have separately sued Jones over his financial claims, arguing that the company is trying to protect millions owned by Jones and his family through shell entities.
Yesterday he clashed with the lawyers of the Sandy Hook families again, accusing them of feeding the jury ‘fake videos’ during the trial.
After Neil Heslin and Scarlett Lewis, whose son Jesse, 6, was one of the 26 killed in the massacre, testified about Jones’ theories turning their lives into ‘a living hell’, the InfoWars host approached their lawyers as they exited court.
Jones commented again on the footage, with one of the lawyers telling him ‘shut your mouth’.
Jones responded: ‘That’s what you’re trying to do, shut my mouth, you’ll never succeed.’
It comes days after the InfoWars host got into a row with the family’s attorney, with Jones’ lawyer F. Andino Reynal flipping off attorney Mark Bankston in court.
The parents led a day of charged testimony that included the judge scolding the bombastic Jones for not being truthful with some of what he said under oath.
Heslin and Lewis both said they fear for their lives and have been confronted by strangers at home and on the street after Jones spread conspiracy theories about them.
Heslin said his home and car have been shot at as the jury also heard a death threat sent on the phone to another Sandy Hook family.
He told the court: ‘I can’t even describe the last nine and a half years, the living hell that I and others have had to endure because of the recklessness and negligence of Alex Jones.’
Leave a Reply