Carbon monoxide inhalation said to be the likely cause of the deaths of 3 Americans whose bodies were found inside their Mexico City Airbnb last month according to local authorities
Bodies of Kandace Florence, 28, Jordan Marshall, 28, and Courtez Hall, 33, were discovered inside the vacation rental during a welfare check by police on Oct 30
The trio traveled to Mexico in late October to celebrate Dia de los Muertos, or Day of the Dead
Florence’s boyfriend, who was back in the US, couldn’t get a hold of her, reached out to the Airbnb host to request a welfare check
Police conducting a welfare check at the apartment that night, noticed a strong stench of gas and found all three friends dead
Three American friends who were mysteriously found dead inside their Mexico City Airbnb last month likely died of carbon monoxide poisoning, local authorities said Tuesday.
The bodies of Kandace Florence and Jordan Marshall, both 28, and Courtez Hall, 33, were discovered inside the vacation rental after they traveled to Mexico in late October to celebrate Dia de los Muertos, or Day of the Dead.
The awful discovery was made by police in Mexico City who responded to a call for a welfare check on the three friends at their temporary residence.
Local autopsy reports indicated the trio died from inhaling the deadly toxin.
The tragedy was discovered following the call on the night of Oct. 30, that was made by the Airbnb owner at the prompting of Florence’s boyfriend, who did not go with the trio on the trip. He was on the phone with her on that night when she started feeling ill and told him something was not right, according to the station WAVY.
The call then got disconnected and the boyfriend could no longer get a hold of Florence.
Concerned for her safety, the boyfriend reached out to the Airbnb host, asking to perform a welfare check.
Local police officers on arrival that night, at the apartment where Florence and her two male companions, Marshall and Hall, noticed a strong stench of gas and found all three friends dead. The three friends were all dead. Local authorities are investigating their deaths.
The families of the deceased friends had complained that they have been in touch with the US Embassy in Mexico and traveled to Mexico City in person in search of an explanation for what had happened, but they still do not know how their loved ones died.
In the US alone, roughly 430 people die a year from accidental CO poisoning and another 50,000 visit emergency rooms each year.
Marshall and Hall were both educators in New Orleans and Florence was a small business owner from Virginia Beach.
In May, three American tourists died of carbon monoxide poisoning while staying at a luxury Sandals resort in the Bahamas.
Two American couples holidaying at the on Great Exuma island, reported feeling ill the night of May 5 and were seen by medical staff, Bahamian police said.
The next day, Michael Phillips, 68, and his wife, Robbie Phillips, 65, of Tennessee, and Vincent Paul Chiarella, 64, of Florida, were found dead in their villas.
Chiarella’s wife, Donnis, 65, was airlifted to the capital, Nassau, for further treatment before being transferred to Florida.