Former head of US Coast Guard Commandant Karl L. Schultz accused of ‘covering up investigation ‘Fouled Anchor’ that revealed decades of institutional abuse’
The explosive, historic investigation into rape and sexual abuse within the Coast Guard academy in Connecticut dates back to the 1980s
Admiral Schultz stepped down in 2022 and was replaced by Admiral Linda Fagan
Sen. Richard Blumenthal [D-CT], said it was ‘probably the most shameful, disgraceful incident of cover-up of sexual assault that I have seen in the United States military ever.’
Admiral Karl K. Schultz [photo], former commandant of the US Coast Guard, was due to raise the results of the investigation with Congress and include them in teachings but failed to do so, according to CNN report
The former head of the US Coast Guard has been accused of covering up an explosive, historic investigation into rape and sexual abuse within the Coast Guard academy in Connecticut that dates back to the 1980s.
CNN reports that Commandant Karl K. Schultz was due to raise the results of the investigation with Congress and include them in teachings.
In March 2017, President Donald J. Trump nominated Vice Adm. Karl L. Schultz to be the 26th Commandant of the U.S. Coast Guard and to be promoted to Admiral. He assumed office as Commandant in June 2018 – around the same time the secret investigation, dubbed Operation Fouled Anchor, was concluding.
The inquiry revealed a dark history of sexual misconduct at the prestigious academy, substantiating dozens of rapes and assaults from the late 1980s to 2006.
Schultz however did not bring the damaging report to officials, as he was meant to, according to the CNN report. Now, Democrats are demanding to know why.
Sen. Richard Blumenthal, [D-CT], described it as ‘probably the most shameful, disgraceful incident of cover-up of sexual assault that I have seen in the United States military ever.’
The findings of that probe were so damaging that leaders thought they should become ‘required reading for current and future Academy leadership teams,’ concluding that ‘the academy’s leadership had been more concerned about the school’s reputation than victims’ wellbeing.
People involved with the investigation had made plans to brief Congress and officials at the Department of Homeland Security, which has direct oversight of the Coast Guard, internal records showed. Investigators believed Fouled Anchor’s findings should be “required reading for current and future Academy leadership teams.”
Admiral Karl Schultz, is seen [center],with President Biden who is shaking hands with Schutlz’s successor, Admiral Linda Fagan [right], at the US Coast Guard change of command ceremony held at the USCG headquarters in Washington, DC, on June 1, 2022
Detailed plans were made for DHS to be briefed in October 2018, with a “Hill brief” to follow a few weeks later.
Then outgoing commandant, Admiral Paul Zukunft, said he also planned to issue an apology to the victims who were identified as a result of the investigation. Ultimately, Zukunft’s successor, Admiral Schultz and his second-in-command, Admiral Charles W. Ray, failed to make any part of the report public, even shrouded it in secrecy.
The pair have been accused of making the “political calculation” and hiding the findings, intentionally.
‘They knew. They read it. They signed off on it. It seems like the most logical reason is that they didn’t want to have controversy under their leadership,’ some of the sources said. By keeping the investigation secret, the US Coast Guard avoided further scrutiny of how alleged rapists and other attackers were not held accountable at the academy.
CNN reports that, ‘during the course of the Fouled Anchor probe, Coast Guard brass guarded its secrecy to the point that officials with access to case materials had to sign non-disclosure agreements’.
The lid on the findings was such that Coast Guard leadership officially briefed Congress on the scope of the scandal only in the last few months as the media searchlight was turned on Fouled Anchor.
Schultz retired in 2022 and was succeeded by Admiral Linda Fagan.
Current USCG commandant, Linda Fagan, has apologized to the victims of the sexual assaults and pledged to be more transparent about the agency’s problems.