The recanting rape victim, [center], who cannot be named, arrives court Monday with her face covered. She initially told police in Cyprus she had been attacked in a hotel room on July 17
A British woman who claimed she was gang raped by 12 men in Ayia Napa is facing a multi-million dollar damages claim after it recanted her story of group sexual assault, admitting she made the story up in a fit of pique.
The 19-year-old, who cannot be named, had told authorities in Cyprus she had been gang raped by a dozen young Israeli men all tourists, ranging in age from 15-18, in a hotel room at a beach resort in Ayia Napa.
The accuser had told cops she agreed to have sex with one of the 12 but was held down and raped, with a medical exam showing scratches and bruises.
Three of the men during their police interview admitted to having sex with the girl, but they insisted the sex took place with “with love and consent”.
The alleged victim arriving at court today after changing her statement to police
The Pambos Napa Rocks hotel in Cyprus where the British tennger claimed she was gang raped by a dozen Israeli male tourists on July 17
But they were all dramatically released after she tearfully told cops she had invented the story because she was annoyed some of them had filmed themselves while having consensual sex.
There was also reportedly no DNA evidence linking them to the alleged attack.
A law enforcement official said the woman had withdrawn her claims during questioning over the weekend, saying there had been sexual contact with the suspects but she wasn’t raped.
Earlier today she was taken to a court in Famagusta, Cyprus, for a remand hearing but the case was postponed until tomorrow after her lawyer failed to show up.
TV pictures showed her arriving for the hearing with a jacket over her head handcuffed to a police woman and her mother was said to be at court.
The 12 who are all now back in Israel celebrated their release on arrival at Tel Aviv airport and social media footage showed them chanting ”The Brit woman is a whore”.
Yona Golub, who was among those initially held and then released confirmed he would seek damages from the woman who claimed she had been attacked at the Pambos Napa hotel in Ayia Napa earlier this month.
The accuser was seen leaving court in Famagusta, Cyprus, Monday escorted by police. She reportedly recanted her accusation and admitted to the rape hoax in a Ayia Napa court ‘after selfie cleared suspects’
On arrival in court in Famagusta on Monday, the accuser was seen huddled into a car as media surrounded the court
He said:”We will sue her for the anguish caused and for libel. I am walking in the street and people are calling me a rapist.
”I was with two friends who were arrested and they straight away arrested me too. I know my friends were in the room, but I wasn’t, I don’t know the girl.’
”The truth is out, I told myself, today finally this nightmare ends. I went through tough days. I was happy to hear they were being set free, I was going crazy at home.”
Defense attorneys representing some of the young men group, confirmed they intended to sue the accuser on behalf of those she accused. adding ”We will proceed with legal action against the individual that made the false allegations, for damages, for every day and every moment they were in prison falsely.
”The claim against her is being drafted at the moment by my clients who are still all very traumatised by what they have been through. They will be suing for loss of earnings, defamation and the suffering that was caused to them by her claims.”
Before: The men were taken into custody after the Brtish tourist accused them of gang rape
After: The last of the suspects were released into the warm embrace of their families on Thursday
a source close to the men added:”There are twelve cases to be heard and this will be a very expensive case for her. The claims will run into millions for the suffering she put them through.”
One of the defense attorneys said the accuser ”needs to think clearly about what she did to the boys who stayed in jail.”
A Cyprus police spokesman said the alleged victim had been charged with ”public mischief” and had been remanded in custody until her hearing today.
He added if convicted she faced a prison sentence of up to one year and a maximum fine of $1,122, adding that her identity will only be revealed if she is found guilty.
Yona Golub [center], who was among the five detainees released on Thursday, told Hebrew-language media that he had come to greet his friends, and that they intended to file a lawsuit against the woman