Elderly condo resident with $1million lawsuit against condo building in Vaughn, Canada, murders ‘five condo board members in each of their apartments’ – before being shot dead by cops
73-year-old Francesco Villi, reportedly shot five residents dead in different apartments, all condo board members, before he was shot dead by responding police officers
A total of six people were killed, including the gunman, who was shot by police
Police were called to the condo in Vaughan, Ontario, before 7.30pm on Sunday
Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit said Villi used a semi-automatic handgun, to shoot dead three men and two women
A sixth victim, a 66-year-old woman believed to be the wife of a prominent board member, is currently hospitalized with serious gunshot injuries
Villi is understood to have lodged a civil complaint against the condo corporation for $1million
Court docs show the board sought a restraining order in 2018 against Villi for “allegedly threatening, abusive, intimidating and harassing behavior” towards the board, property management, workers and residents
In the days leading to the shooting Villi posted several rambling messages on his social media pages accusing lawyers of continuing to ‘torture’ him
Five people were shot dead by a gunman who went on a rampage in suburban Toronto condo building before cops stormed the building and killed him.
Canadian police say the suspect started shooting in an apartment complex in Vaughan, Ontario, shortly before 7.30pm on Sunday night.
Described as an ‘elderly resident’, 73-year-old Francesco Villi, reportedly shot five residents dead in different apartments, all condo board members, before he was shot dead by responding police officers.
A 66-year-old woman, believed to be the wife of a prominent condo board member, also suffered serious gunshot injuries, but is expected to survive
Villi is understood to have lodged a civil complaint against the condo corporation for $1million – and aired his exasperation in several videos on his Facebook page before the mass shooting.
According to Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU), Villi used a semi-automatic handgun, allegedly killing three men and two women
The lone female survivor is currently in hospital with shot injuries listed as seriously wounded.
On arrival officers were confronted by the gunman at the building near Jane Street and Rutherford Road.
Local reports say EMTS who arrived to find a ‘horrendous scene’ and have since confirmed that a total of six people, including the suspect, have died.
The gory incident took place in the suburb of Vaughn, 20 miles north of downtown Toronto, a city that prides itself on its longstanding safety.
Villi reportedly used a semi-automatic handgun to shoot all six members of the condo board, before he was forcibly stopped. One of the victims is expected to survive. Incidentally, the sale of handguns was banned in Canada earlier this year in response to a mass shooting that saw 22 people killed in Nova Scotia in April 2020.
Addressing the media on the incident, York Regional Police Chief James MacSween reassured the public that ‘There is no further threat to the community at this point. We offer our sincere condolences to the victims and their families.’
MacSween said a seventh person injured in the incident – a 66-year-old woman – who was by the Villi, has been hospitalized, but is expected to survive serious gunshot injuries.
Ontario´s Special Investigations Unit, which gets involved when there is a death or serious injury involving police, is investigating.
Armed police were seen storming the building following the reporters of gunfire. SIU said said he was shot by an officer in one of the building’s hallways around 8 p.m. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
Teams of emergency services then locked off the apartment building while ambulances worked to help surviving victims.
The victims reportedly, had been found in three different apartments in the building. Police located one woman at the condo who had been shot in the face. She is believed to be one of the deceased, reports City News Toronto.
Police have not yet named any of the deceased victims of Sunday’s fatal shooting.
Cops evacuated the building but MacSween said there is no further threat to the community. He said they hoped to have residents back in their units within hours.
Court documents indicate that Villi had a long-standing dispute with his condo board.
Villi filed a lawsuit against six directors and officers of the board in 2020, alleging the board members “committed acts of crime and criminality from 2010 onwards.” He further alleged the directors had caused him five years of “torment” and “torture” related to alleged issues with the electrical room below his unit.
Justice Joseph Di Luca tossed the case this summer, calling it “frivolous” and “vexatious.”
Court documents also show the board sought a restraining order in 2018 against Villi for his “allegedly threatening, abusive, intimidating and harassing behavior” towards the board, property management, workers and residents.
In multiple videos shared on his social media accounts, Villi appeared to comment about the ongoing dispute with his condo.
His Facebook page had a video posted online hours before the Sunday shooting in which he identifies himself, lists the address of the building where the shooting later took place, specifying that he is a resident of the condo.
In the video he’s heard calling a member of the condo board a “monster” as he alleged the building owners, condo board members, lawyers and judges are conspiring against him.
“Everybody are working to destroy me,” he said during the 16-minute video.
“I will never become one of you — liars, demons — never.”
Villi was scheduled to appear in court on Tuesday, however his case wasn’t heard due to his death.
“Mr. Villi passed away yesterday. On consent of the defendants, this action and the counterclaim are permanently stayed,” a court document dated Monday says.