Trending Now

Florida teen, Derek Rosa, 13, arrested for murder after ‘stabbing his mom in the neck as she slept, then calling 911 to confess’ – Irene Garcia, 39, was sleeping next to her two week-old baby daughter

Popular Stories

Derek Rosa, 13, ‘murdered his mom by stabbing her in the neck multiple times she slept next to her newborn daughter

Rosa then called 911 to confess that he’d ‘murdered his mom,’ inside their apt in cops say

The 13-year-old has no known mental health problems and there were no known issues in the family home

Police believe the boy waited until his mother fell asleep and then stabbed her multiple times

Authorities said he was calm and apologetic when they arrived at the scene

Rosa who was taken to a juvenile detention center, and later to a hospital after he allegedly threatened to harm himself, made his initial court appearance Friday. 

Derek Rosa, 13, [photo], is in police custody after allegedly turning himself in for murdering his mother on October 12

Police in Florida arrested a 13-year-old boy on Thursday after he allegedly stabbed his mother to death while she slept next to her newborn, before dialing 911 to confess. 
Derek Rosa allegedly murdered his mother, Irena Garcia ‘in her bedroom next to a crib’ containing his 14-day-old baby sister inside their home in Hialeah, Florida, on October 12. 
According to Lt. Eddie Rodriguez of the Hialeah Police Department, the teenager then dialed 911 just after 11:30 p.m. to report that he had ‘just murdered his mother.’
Responding officers an arrival at the family’s apartment found Garcia, 39, dead from several stab wounds in the neck.
The officers report that suspect was polite and apologized to police, then went with them without incident. 

Irena Garcia, 39, [photo], was slayed inside her Florida home on Thursday by her 13-year-old in a son, two weeks after she gave birth to his younger sister earlier

Rosa is an honor eight- grade student at iMater Charter Middle/High School.  Police believe the boy had waited until his mother had fallen asleep and then stabbed her multiple times.
Lieutenant Rodriguez said it was ‘not what you’d think or expect walking into that home or seeing that crime scene.’
Rodriguez said the teen ‘did not provide any information as to why he did what he did’ and added: ‘It’s something we are all asking ourselves now.’ 
Footage from the scene showed the boy walking out of the apartment as he was taken into police custody. 

Rosa was taken into custody by police last Thursday night after he dialed 911 to report that he had just killed his mother who just two weeks earlier delivered her youngest child

One neighbor, Lazaro Rodriguez, said: ‘I was shocked, just shocked by the news. He was always with his mom, calm, he would help her carry packages or shopping bags. I never saw anything abnormal with him. I don’t know what could’ve happened.’
Rodriguez told Local 10 News last week that the boy had no history of mental health issues and police had not been to the family’s apartment before. 
He said: ‘Neighbors don’t know of any problems inside the home. So this has detectives and us dumbfounded.’

Rosa lived in the apartment with his mother, newborn sister and his stepfather, who works as a truck driver – all of whom he reportedly got along well with.
Rosa was alone in the apartment with his baby sister and their mother on Thursday evening. His stepfather was reportedly away in Georgia at the time.  
The family were seen arriving at the complex and entering the apartment after Rosa was taken into custody.
A months-old family portrait taken just before Garcia gave birth shows Derek Rosa and his stepfather in matching outfits lovingly cradling His mother’s baby bump. 
In what appears to be a maternity photoshoot, the pair are dressed in matching light pink polo shirts and khakis.
The infant is now with her grandmother, officials said.

Derek Rosa posed with his mother and stepfather in matching outfits for a maternity photo shoot

Teenage murder suspect Derek Rosa lived with his family in this apartment complex in Hialeah, Florida

The teen suspect was taken to a juvenile detention center and then moved to Jackson Memorial Hospital for observation after he threatened to harm himself. 
He appeared in court on Friday and officials say the state is hoping to take the case to a grand jury. 

Leave a Reply