Undercover journalist was assassinated in Ghana months after he exposed massive corruption that resulted in a powerful soccer administrator resigning his post as head of the Ghana Football Association
The indicted man also resigned his membership of the governing councils of the African soccer federation CAF, and world governing body, FIFA
Ahmed Husein-Suale was shot dead Jan, 16, while driving home, after a politician called for retribution against him
Unidentified men on motorbikes shot the journalist three times in the capital city Accra
The 34-year-old reporter was part of probe last year which exposed corruption in Ghanaian football
In the aftermath, world governing body FIFA last October banned GFA boss, Kwesi Nyantakyi for life and fined him $500,000
Nyantakyi was was caught on camera accepting bribes, he was also accused of requesting $11 million to secure government contracts
Husein-Suale lodged a complaint with police a politician Kennedy Agyapong mentioned in the report, had placed a bounty on his head
Agyapong showed the reporter’s photograph on a private television channel stating: ‘That boy that’s very dangerous, he lives here in Madina. If he comes here, beat him,’ promising cash payment to any one who attacked Husein-Suale
Agyapong was cited by sporting officials indicated in the undercover investigation into football corruption
Husein’s death has triggered international outrage and demands to get justice for him
The death of undercover journalist Ahmed Husein [photo], in Accra, Ghana on Jan, 16, has triggered widespread outrage and demands for authorities to bring his killers to justice
A Ghanian undercover journalist who helped expose corruption in African football has been shot dead in the capital.
Ahmed Husein-Suale was shot dead while driving home, after a politician called for retribution against him. Unidentified men on motorbikes shot the journalist three times in the capital Accra, local media reports say.
Husein-Suale was a member of Tiger Eye Private Investigations and had investigated corruption in Ghana’s football leagues.
The undercover report on cash gifts led to a lifetime ban for the former head of Ghana’s Football Association.
His death of has triggered widespread outrage and demands for authorities to bring his killers to justice.
Husein, 34, was gunned down as he returned to his home in the Madina area of Accra on Wednesday night.
Masked warrior: Exposes by award-winning journalist Anas Aremeyaw Anas [photo] who alwas appears masked, has affected many sectors of the country’s public sector. He led the investigation team that included Ahmed Husein
The reporter was part of a team led by award-winning journalist Anas Aremeyaw Anas.
The probe last year led to the resignation of the head of the Ghana Football Association and the banning of dozens of football referees and officials.
Last year Husein filed a complaint with police after a prominent lawmaker from President Nana Akufo-Addo’s ruling New Patriotic Party (NPP) threatened him.
The lawmaker made a call on television for supporters to beat Hussein while showing the reporter’s photograph.
Ex-Ghana Football Association [GFA] president Kwesi Nyantakyi was filmed taking piles of money and putting it into a bag. He was forced to resign as head of GFA, as well as membership of the CAF and FIFA gonerning councils. He is banned for life from the sport
Police said Husein was shot in the chest and neck. Anas and his Tiger Eye production company said the gunmen fired at close range from a motorbike and he died instantly.
Husein-Suale has been walking around with the target painted on his back after BBC Africa Eye made a documentary about the scandal last year after gaining access to the investigation led by Ghanian journalist Anas Aremayaw Anas, who runs Tiger Eye.
Tiger Eye ran a sting operation on soccer powerhouse Ex-Ghana Football Association (GFA) president Kwesi Nyantakyi.
Nyantakyi was filmed taking piles of money and putting it into a bag. He was forced to step down as GFA president in June, 2018 after film of him allegedly accepting a “cash gift” was made public.
Football’s world governing, FIFA, body launched an investigation after Nyantakyi was pictured taking $65,000 from an undercover reporter.
FIFA who was also Nyantakyi was also vice-president of the Confederation of African Football and a member of the Fifa Council resigned all his posts and was banned from the sport for life for breaking bribery and corruption rules.
The world body said he also broke rules conflict of interest rules, and fined Nyantakyi 500,000 Swiss francs.
After the BBC documentary aired, Ghanaian MP Kennedy Agyapong circulated photos of Mr Hussein-Suale and called for retribution against him.
Nyantakyi has claimed the footage was doctored to falsely incriminate him.
In 2018 BBC Africa Eye made a documentary about the scandal after gaining access to the investigation led by Ghana journalist Anas Aremayaw Anas, who runs Tiger Eye
A day after the assassination of Husein-Suale on Wednesday, media organisations and journalists in Ghana Thursday called for more protection and demanded the government fully investigate.
‘We… are terribly devastated by the dastardly act but remain unshaken in our resolve to pursue nation-wreckers and make corruption a high-risk activity,’ said Anas.
President Nana Akufo-Addo sent his condolences to Husein’s family and condemned the killing.
‘I expect the police to bring to book, as soon as possible, the perpetrators of this heinous crime,’ he said in a statement.
Information minister Kojo Oppong-Nkrumah told reporters violence against journalists would not be tolerated but the government is likely to come under pressure over the killing.
The murder of a journalist is unusual in Ghana, which ranked 23rd out of 180 countries in the Reporters Without Borders (RSF) 2018 World Press Freedom Index — up three places on the previous year.
But the revelations about corruption in football rocked Ghana, a country where football is the national sport and which prides itself on being a stable democracy in an often turbulent region.
The president of the Ghana Journalists Association, Affail Monney, said Husein’s killers ‘must be made to face the full rigours of law’.
He also called on Akufo-Addo to get to the bottom of the killing, and urged parliament to ‘take necessary actions’ to improve media and public safety.
‘This killing, in addition to rampant assault against journalists in recent times, sends a worrying signal that the media are under serious attack,’ he told a news conference
International media watchdog the Committee for the Protection of Journalists called for an immediate investigation and for the authorities ‘to ensure that threats against the press are taken seriously’.
Husein had made the complaint to police after NPP party member Kennedy Agyapong showed his photograph on a private television channel and promised payment for supporters who took attacked him.
‘That boy that’s very dangerous, he lives here in Madina. If he comes here, beat him,’ Agyapong said, pointing to a picture of Husein’s face.
In the undercover investigation into football corruption, Agyapong’s name was also mentioned by implicated sporting officials.
Husein’s lawyer, Kissi Agyabeng, said the member of parliament had questions to answer.
Agyapong himself rejected claims that he ‘engineered the killing’ of Husein, telling local radio station Neat FM: “He has never offended me.
‘So, they should go and investigate those he has offended not me. He and his boss ([Anas] have offended so many people in this country.
‘The evil they have been doing will follow them.”
RSF has previously condemned threats against Anas after he revealed ‘threatening calls, intimidatory messages and suspicious vehicles near his home’.
The reporter, whose other exposes have lifted the lid on graft in the judicial system, is distinctive for wearing hats and face-coverings to conceal his identity.
The soccer expose was a game changer. In the aftermath, world governing body FIFA last October banned GFA boss Kwesi Nyantakyi for life and fined him nearly $500,000 after his on camera bribe incident. Nyantakyi was accused of requesting $11 million to secure government contracts.
Eight referees and assistant referees were banned for life while 53 officials were subject to 10-year bans. Fourteen officials were exonerated.