German police suspect Bernhard Graumann, a 59-year-old landscape gardener who was found dead last week, set up explosive traps that killed one and injured two others before his death.
A 64-year-old doctor, who was not named, died Friday in an explosion that appeared to come from a booby trap placed at the front door of his practice in Enkenbach-Alsenborn, Westpfalz police spokesman Bernhard Christian Erfort said. The device was allegedly triggered after the doctor picked it up.
Graumann’s body was found in his home in the nearby town of Mehlingen later that day.
Two days later, and less than six miles away from the first explosion, a 37-year-old mother and her 4-year-old daughter were injured after another explosive went off. The two unknowingly placed a log laced with explosives into a wood-burning stove.
Their injuries were not thought to be life-threatening, but the child is still in the hospital receiving treatment, Erfort said.
“The investigation of the criminal police showed that in both cases Bernhard Graumann is a suspect, he had a personal or business conflicts with the victims,” police said, adding he “did not have a good relationship” with them.
“In both cases, there had been conflicts in the past.”
A search of Graumann’s home resulted in the discovery of gunpowder and “other items” covered by explosive regulations.
“It cannot be ruled out that the deceased made other preparations that could endanger further people,” police said.
Erfort said there was no sign of foul play in Graumann’s death, but would not comment on whether it was a suicide.